Friday, March 5, 2010

Always Wear a Key

For years, a most curious gizmo lived in the family junk drawer of my youth.  When I asked about the rusty old item, I was simply told that it was a roller skate key, as though I would then comprehend its purpose.  Believe it or not, I only recently discovered the purpose, thanks to internet research!   You know, one day, the computer will be a curious gizmo; in fact, large dinosaur-like models already are.  But that's another subject.

The roller skate key was, from what I've learned, a basic tool designed for tightening the toe clamps of the roller skates.  Don't ask me about toe clamps.  Seriously.  Apparently, you needed to keep track of your key, which meant that skaters often wore the gadget on a string tied around their necks.

Well....what do you know.....

I recently unearthed this little treasure.  Who knows how it ended up in my own grown up junk drawer, as I've never been able to skate a day in my life.  But you can bet that I felt compelled to turn this piece into something worth keeping.  And here it is:





This special-to-me key has become a kick-off component for me, ever since a colleague spotted me wearing it.  She's placed a request, and I'm buying up old keys for her to consider.  I'll keep you posted.

More fun on the run!


           ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

2 comments:

debi said...

Very pretty! I actually had those kind of skates! Nothing like aging one's self. LOL!

GracedLace said...

LOL, and thank you, Debi! You are as young as you feel!